love

love
pure & simple

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Ben Update 2014



I’m kind of tempted to make this sound like Ben is writing it… But… I don’t think I could pull it off. Plus, this way I can brag about him all I want and I don’t have to worry about anyone thinking he’s conceited;)
Ben is working for Raytheon as a Remote Pilot Operator (RPO). Okay. So what? Whew, here goes.

When a person is hired by the FAA to become an Air Traffic Controller – they are first sent to the Training Academy here in OKC. During this 3 month training, students have to complete a certain number of simulation hours where they practice being Controllers. Ben is on the other side of the computer – pretending to be the pilot.
Pardon this dated picture. But these are the only ones I have of him "in his element".

Since Ben has gone to school to become a Controller – he is a great RPO. He is often times handling multiple simulations at once. I would say a specific number but I’m not exactly sure how it works. I just know that he tells me that his co-workers and boss watch him juggle a large number of them successfully, obviously impressed. All while he is thinking, “stop watching, you’re distracting!”

This has been a great job for him while he waits for the FAA to (cough, get their act together and) hire him. He gets to practice the phraseology and use the technical equipment and be RIGHT there when he gets the call.

There’s an article here on some of the drama that has been going on in his industry. He turns 31 in July so your thoughts, prayers, and letters to state representatives (please do this and help the act become law) would be greatly appreciated.

He does enjoy it but it is frustrating watching students come in without any experience who filed a spot that he could have gotten into, only to fail out after the FAA has spent so much time and money training them. He does anything he can to support our family and has impressed me with his financial prowess.

I think being out here in OKC has given Ben the gun bug. He really wants a couple different guns and has gone to the shooting range with friends a few times. It’s fun watching him get into stuff that’s not school or work related. Now I just need to emphasize that I won’t feel bad if he goes off on a hunt with his brothers and dad without me.

No comments: