love

love
pure & simple

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Marley - Year One ... and a bit of two...

Marley was such good baby in the hospital. It still amazes me how easily they get into a routine. Sleep. Eat. Poop. Sleep. They do exactly what they need to do to survive. And so much of it is so natural. Unfortunately I banked on this whole ‘natural’ thing a bit too much when it came to breastfeeding. I didn’t think it was a difficult thing. I was so concerned about labor, I never thought about how to keep that little human alive after she was here. 

Breastfeeding was tough for us. We found out later (at 18 months) that she has lip-tie, which can impair a babies ability to nurse correctly/efficiently/effectively. It won’t affect her long-term so there’s no use in correcting it but finding that out gave me hope that maybe I’ll be able to have that breastfeeding relationship with a future baby. One can always hope!


Marley in a Nutshell


She hated being completely swaddled. If we wrapped up her arms, she would fight and squirm until she freed them. Then calmly fall immediately asleep. It didn’t take us long to figure that one out.




We were always so careful to lay her down to sleep. I’ve since learned that she will sleep through anything when she’s tired. We have some crazy loud thunder-storms out here in Oklahoma and she has never once woken up to them. I’m not going to pretend like I haven’t woken up and listened intently waiting to pull her into bed with me:)


She was always a great sleeper. (Keep in mind that this is relative – do not expect to ever get a ‘full-night’s sleep’ ever again once you are a parent;) 


Marley started walking the day after her first birthday. On her birthday she was playing at Grandma Page’s where she ‘borrowed’ cousin Kaleb’s walking/pushing toy. She had been taking one or two steps at a time for a few months before then. But I think that pushing toy gave her the confidence she needed to just go for it. After that day, she never looked back:) Except when she’s helping me push the cart at the grocery store. She likes to get down on her knees and watch Momma freak out!


She got her first tooth around 9 months. We never gave her very much pain management stuff for it and she didn’t ever take to teething toys. Just took it like a big girl:)
 

No paci’s for this girl. She sucked on her fingers a handful of times. But her true soother is her bottle. Even at 19 months she still lights up when we say the word. She will only drink from a bottle or mom’s cup (I always use straws, even at home). I’ve tried every type of sippy cup and trainer cup and even given her a cup with a straw of her own. But nope, Momma’s must taste better.


My favorite part of the day is when I get to put Marley down for bedtime. She gets a cup of milk in her bottle and I get to snuggle her brains out and read scriptures until she finishes it. Then we say prayer and change her diaper while singing a song together (maybe have a little tickle-fight) and the tuck her in with her wide array of stuffed animals.


When I’m not working, I get to do this twice! Once for nap time too. That one is actually better because I read to her until she falls asleep. And then I get to snuggle her as long as I want and kiss her, and play with her hair and do all the weird things that moms do:)


She is quite the ticklish little lady; the bottoms of her feet, her rib cage and her thighs. When Ben gets scruffy, he’ll rub his chin on the bottom of her foot and she just loses it.


Marley LOVES the water. For the past 2 summers, we’ve been living in apartments with community pools. There are some great videos and pictures of her swimming and jumping in before she can even count. I love that she has no fear in the water – but because I’m a helicopter mom, there is a lot of anxiety that goes along with that;)



She has started saying “tank ew”, “momma”, “daddy”, and “scoo-er” on a regular basis. She has known the signs for “more”, “milk”, and “food” for a long time so she hasn’t felt the pressure to use new words. But she just started saying “bock-ee” for broccoli so I think she’s starting to branch out:)


When we were living with Marthie she said “Kee” for Kita regularly. She loved walking on Martha’s island and it has been a hard transition for her to be on ground level since then;)


She has always been petite for her age which is one of the reasons why I have a hard time forcing her off the bottle. She doesn’t eat a whole lot anyway and she doesn’t have a lot of baby chub to spare. Plus, who needs that stress? She only uses it right before bed and naps. We practice good hygiene by brushing before bedtime and in the morning (no rotting) and I know it’s common for toddlers to nurse worldwide (no teeth gaps). So I don’t believe that using a bottle a couple times a day to drink nutrient filled milk is going to do long-term damage. I’m positive she’ll outgrow it on her own with more confidence as a result than me traumatically taking it away from her.


She’s got some pretty crazy ‘Stranger Danger’. I joke with the people sitting next to me on our flights that if she started getting fussy or anything that they just need to make eye contact with her and say something. She will immediately shut down. She does great when we’re walking through the store and people are all doing their own thing – she’ll say ‘hi’ and wave and chitter. But when all the attention is on her, she freezes up and just wants to be held by mom or dad. The best way for someone to get her to willingly play with them, would be for them to just get down on the floor (at her level) and play with some toys. She’ll be over in a moment to join in. Just don’t force her – you’ll get nowhere. This aspect of her personality she definitely gets from me. If I could behave like this as an adult I would. Allow me to do my own thing and we’ll become fast friends. Put me on the spot and make me feel uncomfortable? We’re done. It’s amazing how personality inclinations truly do have some genetic connection – I really don’t think she could have learned this behavior from me already.

No comments: